Flood Resources for Northern Rivers
The infomation below contains important information about how people can receive ongoing support in the days, weeks and months ahead.
FACE TO FACE SUPPORT
Resilience NSW, community members, and Council are operating dedicated Flood Recovery Centres across the Northern Rivers, providing face-to-face support for residents of the Byron, Ballina, and Tweed Shires.
The following services can be found at these available at these centres:
- Resilience NSW
- Red Cross
- North Coast Housing
- Legal Aid
- Service NSW
- Communities and Justice (DCJ) - Housing
- Services Australia
- Social Futures
- Salvation Army
- Social worker and counsellor
- Insurance/financial assistance
- Support for businesses
Find your nearest recovery centre www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods/recovery-centres
Dedicated Service NSW hotline 137788 for outstanding clean ups and assistance
Ballina Auto Recyclers can pick up and offer cash for flood affected cars: (02) 6681 4170
TO ASK FOR COMMUNITY HELP ONLINE (for anything you need due to floods):
- mullum.live/help (for finding and listing volunteer help)
- healmullum.com (affected residents can book healing treatments)f
- www.nsw.gov.au/floods/clean-up-advice (requests and advice on flood clean ups)
- www.headtohealth.gov.au/search-resources (resources tailored for disaster)
- ‘Byron Shire Urgent Flood Assistance’
- ‘Northern NSW 2022 Floods Community Clean Up and Help’
- ‘Resilient Byron’
- ‘2022 Flood Aftermath: SGB/NB/OS’ (asking for photo/video records of the area)
- ‘Wellbeing during Floods Byron Shire and Beyond’
- 'Upper Main Arm Flood Relief'
www.recoveryproject2022.com - volunteer site to request support finding housing.
- For a 1 person household $6,000
- For a 2 person household $7,200
- For a 3 person household $9,200
- For a 4 person household $12,400
- For a 5 person household $15,200
- For a 6 person household $18,000
- For a household with more than 6 people, the cost will increase by $2,800 for each additional household member.
If you, your family, belongings, home, vehicle, business, or ability to work have been impacted by the floods, you may be eligible for support from the NSW Government and Services Australia.
Services Australia are offering once off payments of up to $1000 per person and $400 per child if your home has been damaged, or you have been seriously injured. Short-term financial assistance of up to 13 weeks is also available if you have lost income as a result of the floods. Call on 180 22 66 or visit their website to check if you are eligible.
The NSW Government is offering a range of financial support including disaster relief grants, additional child care subsidies, and fee waivers for replacing government documents.
Use the Disaster Assistance Finder here: https://disasterassistance.service.nsw.gov.au/
Or, visit the Service NSW website: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods/financial-assistance
Your bank may also offer support if you are unable to pay fees or loans. See information from the Australian Banking Association here: https://www.ausbanking.org.au/for-customers/financial-difficulty/?fbclid=IwAR36HKcBuqAIGu8gJB3b-Czi3-0LYuEYm_OhVANxd_ry8Arhurus_tyTTZ8
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Suicide call back service - 1300 659 467
- Beyond Blue - 1300 2246636
- Kids helpline - 1800 55 1800
- Mensline Australia - 1300 78 99 78
- Mental health Access line (North Coast Area) - 1800 011 511
- Domestic and Family Violence - 1800RESPECT - 1800 737 732
- Family support service - The Family Centre - (07) 5524 8711
- Carer support - Carer Gateway - 1800 422 737
- Social futures - Family connect and support - 1800 327 679.
(general service for families who need support)
- Healthy North Coast's free 24/7 GP telehealth service - 1800 931 158 (Urgent health advice including scripts etc if unable to get regular GP appt) or go see your local GP.
EMERGENCY ANIMAL WELFARE HOTLINE
The NSW Government has opened an emergency animal welfare hotline for flood-affected farmers, landowners and communities in Northern NSW for immediate assistance if dealing with stranded, injured or perished livestock.
The emergency hotline for assistance with stock or animal welfare issues is 1800 814 647
Members of the community should also call the emergency hotline number if they come across stranded, lost, injured or dead livestock, so that we can arrange to attend to these animals.